Saturday, December 11, 2010

necessity mittens

These were all set to be a regular pair of Arden handwarmers, but while knitting them, I noticed my fingers were uncomfortably freezing and so made a snap decision to make them into mittens instead.  Numazu is bitingly cold in the mornings and evenings, and the lack of insulation in our apartment makes the cold that much more pervasive. 

I tried to take good notes on how I worked the decreases on the top - even mentally congratulating myself on being so thorough, as I often have this problem with mittens - but  it was several days before I made it to Mitten #2, and I quickly realized that my scribbled notes meant next to nothing at times. Oh, well.  Still, the mittens at least look roughly the same - it's just for me, anyway, so I'm not too fussed. 

The primary changes I made for this pair of mittens was knitting at a tighter gauge using size 6 needles. Then I started the thumb increase at Row 50; and then continued the cable pattern to Row 94, where I began decreasing, binding off after Row 100. The thumbs were worked for 10 rows of purl stitches, and then decreased in two rows. I might write up the decreases in more detail eventually, but I think it will require much deciphering of my poor, confused notes. In the meantime, I'm just happy to have something to wear while I ride my bike through the wind and the cold!

Also, random important life lesson: I cannot pose for mitten photos to save my life.


  1. those are so, so gorgeous!! they look nice and cozy, too.

  2. Wow! Those are beautiful and look so warm and soft. Love the color choice. Good decision on going for mittens.