Tuesday, December 28, 2010

really big yarn!


One of the most exciting things about being home (okay, after the family and the friends and the food and the ability to understand people) is the ability to actually visit local yarn shops! I also feel kind of guilty dragging people along with me, though, so when my sister held up a skein of Malabrigo Rasta and asked if I could make her a scarf, I of course said yes. I'd never seen Rasta in person before - the downside of doing most of my shopping for yarn in tri-annual online shopping binges is that I almost never pick up anything I'm not already looking for, and I almost never use bulky yarn. Rasta could make me a convert to both super bulky and crazy variegated yarn, though - the colors look like a watercolor in the skein, and almost luminous in seed stitch - so, so gorgeous.


The store only had one skein of the color my sister liked (indiecitas), so I opted instead to make a cowl. I'm about half an hour into the Marian Cowl by Jane Richmond (link forthcoming), and am both loving and vaguely unsettled by knitting with insanely chunky 15 needles. It's kind of like knitting with toy knitting needles, or something, but I'm certainly not complaining, especially since I'm almost halfway through already.

No comments:

Post a Comment